Tonight at Girls of Grace, during music, we did something a little different. Mr. Boehr (the children's music coordinator at church) had picked out a bunch of old hymns that get pushed aside by our more contemporary music at Indian Hills. He put a list of hymns with page numbers up on the screen, and we taught the hymns to the girls and boys old school style: with hymn books! I swear this is the first time I have seen those hymn books used in a VERY long time. Sometimes I think our church gets too caught up in the fancy electronic technology crap. (In case you haven't noticed technology and I don't get along, I tend to break things, hence the reason my parents won't get me a nice phone like they said they would.)
At first Mr. Boehr had me running the sound booth thing (which is very complicated...so. many. buttons.) But then one of the Boys of Faith guys must have been reading my mind because he came over and relieved me from my button-pushing duties. It was so awesome to teach these boys and girls all of these old hymns that I grew up singing. I am absolutely in LOVE with hymns, I could just sing every song in those books and still want to sing more hymns. When I was in elementary school, my friend Kara and I would sing hymns together when we had sleepovers. She would play the piano and I would sing. It was perfect, and now it is awesome because we still do that sometimes except Kara will sing melody while I make up a tenor-ish/alto-ish part.
One of the hymns that really stuck out to me tonight was "Soon and Very Soon". I love this one, and not just because I can get away with singing it like the black girl I am. We sang a version of this song with Helzer (I'm pretty sure it was in 8th grade because I remember being jealous of the basses because they got the most awesome part ever.) While we were singing this hymn I started singing the alto part, but then I got the death-glare from Mr. Boehr so I stopped. The youngens around me were so confused. I love confusing small children...
As we were walking back to the classroom for the bible lesson, the rude little girl that I have mentioned before, Lauren, came right up beside me and grabbed my hand. I was so shocked I looked down and then she was hugging my arm. Small child affection is adorable, but I was so confused. When we got back to the room, we completed our lesson and we had a snack. As the Junior Leader it is my responsibility to refill the girls' water cups. Unfortunately, we have many thirsty girls and tiny water cups. After about 17 water trips, I was just about to sit down when Lauren said, "I gotta go tinkle!" (This is another one of my responsibilities.) As we were walking to the bathroom, she grabbed my hand again. She chattered the whole time about some puppy that her Grandma has. As she was washing her hands she said the most hilarious thing. "Annntaayyyshhha! WOW! Look at this! I have a sink at my house too! The church copied my Mommy and Daddy's idea to have a sink in the bathroom!" I busted out laughing, I was laughing so hard I was almost in tears. As we walked back to the room she said, "It's your fault that I had to tinkle. I asked for a little more water, and you filled my cup all the way up. You need to work on that." and then she skipped away. This little girl can be so rude, but she is so adorable. :)
It was eighth grade... I remember the bass part was awesome. Why oh why can't I be a guy? :)
ReplyDelete