Monday, January 28, 2013

Personal Finance: Confessions of a Shopaholic

In Syracuse, to graduate, you are required to take a semester long class called Personal Finance. Of course, almost everyone got that all taken care off freshman year, everyone that went to Syracuse their freshman year, that is. I am in a class with about seventeen freshman and only one other sophomore. This sophomore girl is new this year, and she is very nice. I thought that I would absolutely hate this class, but I am actually starting to enjoy it. My teacher is absolutely hilarious. Her husband is president of some republic farmer national thing-a-ma-whatever, so she frequently displays her bitter hatred to our current presidential administration if you know what I mean.

I was expecting this class to involve a lot of extra work, but really we do one of two things each day. We either have a political pity-party session, or the first two rows of girls talk about pointless clothing/shoes/accessories that we have spent our money on. It is actually very entertaining. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies: Confessions of a Shopaholic. In this movie, the main character goes crazy and gets herself in a crud-load of debt, so she attends one of those "Shoppers Anonymous" class. You know the ones where you go and say, "Hi, my name is Annastazia Stofer, and I am a shopaholic." and everyone else is like, "Hi, Annastazia." in the most dreadful tone ever. My Personal Finance class is turning into a Shoppers Anonymous class; it is actually very entertaining.

Thankfully, I have loving parents who do not spoil me, so I am not a shopaholic. Almost all of the girls in my class are spoiled brats who pay full price for everything. Paying full price is for wimps. My mother may have failed at teaching me how to cook, but she did succeed at teaching me the rules of shopping.

Although this weekend I broke a shopping rule, I payed full price for two pairs of jeans. In my defense, they were perfect and from Buckle. Any other argument is invalid. It's almost a brainless action, if a pair of jeans fits perfectly, you buy them! I bought two pairs, one pair of DayTrips, and one pair of Silvers. The Silvers fit a little weird though, so they are being altered currently. Some people call it "Buying on impulse" I call it "Meant to be".

No comments:

Post a Comment